On the 23rd of September, the death toll in the Bhiwandi Building Collapse incident increased to 37.
On the 21st of September, around 3:40 A.M., a multi storey building collapsed in the Bhiwandi area. Nearly 20 families were residents of the 40 years old building.
Maharashtra police, rescue force, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and Fire Brigade rushed to the spot and started the rescue operation. Rescue operations began from Monday, the 21st of September and are still underway.
So far nearly 31 people were rescued including a child by locals (20) and the rescue teams (11.)
Dozens of people are still feared trapped inside the building.
According to sources, the building was on a dangerous building list. The Mumbai Civic Body recently even issued a notice to vacate the building.
However, before the legal action would have been taken, the building collapsed when residents were asleep.
According to sources, there were a total of 48 flats of which 24 collapsed.
Sayyed Ahmed Jilani, the owner of the building is charged under culpable homicide and negligence causing hurt, Section 304 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC.) The Maharashtra Police is searching for Mr. Jilani as he is still absconding.
Ashish Kumar, the Deputy Commandant, of the NDRF said,”Relatives at the spot are claiming there are 8 to 10 people still trapped inside. We are searching accordingly. The ongoing rain is affecting the operations as we are trying to enter deep into the rubbles and pull out those trapped in the first floor and ground floor of the building.”
The Thane Disaster Management cell said the rescue operations are likely to end by the evening of the 23rd of September.
Meanwhile, 40 families living in three neighbouring buildings were evacuated by the Bhiwandi Nizampur City Municipal Corporation (BNCMC). The civic body also disconnected the power and water supply to these buildings.
Rescue operations are still underway.
Stay tuned for further updates