Remembering Sarojini Naidu on the day of her birth anniversary with some interesting facts. Born in Hyderabad, Naidu was a freedom fighter, poet and politician.
Here are a few interesting facts about the Nightingale of India:
1. As a child prodigy Sarojini wrote the play Maher Muneer, earning her a scholarship to study abroad.
2. While studying in London, Naidu fell in love at the age of 19 and got married.
3. Sarojini Naidu wrote Indian themed poems mesmerizing Nobel Laurate Arthur Simon and Edmond Gausse. They suggested she stick to this style of writing and Naidu did exactly that making her one of the greatest poets.
4. In the year 1905, Sarojini Naidu release her first collection of poetries.
5. Once she returned to India, Naidu joined the Indian National Movement in 1905.
6. During her political career Naidu founded the Women’s India Association (WIA) in 1917.
7. By 1925, Naidu became the President of the Indian National Congress. She also was part of the Salt Satyagraha in 1930.
8. Later she went on to preside over the East African Indian Congress in South Africa.
9. Naidu was also the first female governor of India and served as the governor of the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh from 1947 to 1949.
10. Sarojini Naidu and Mahatma Gandhi shared a sense of humor together. Naidu called the Father of the Nation Mickey Mouse because of his ears.