The Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) started free water supply work for the people of Hyderabad.
Free water supply to the people of Telangana by 2021 was one of the major agendas of the TRS Government. During the 2020 Telangana Municipal elections, the K. Chandrashekar Rao led TRS in its manifesto promised installation of free water supply taps by the 31st of March 2021.
After winning the GHMC elections, K.T. Rama Rao, the Municipal Administration and Urban Development Minister, on the 20th of December 2020, announced the scheme to be implemented from the 1st of April 2021.
In the State, people need to install a meter at their homes to avail free water supply before the 31st of March. The Water Board officials appeal to the consumers to have the meters installed in their homes before the deadline to get a free water supply
However, slum areas of Hyderabad are exempted from this condition. With effect from December 2020, domestic slum consumers would not be issued water bills under the free water supply scheme and need not have individual water meters.
The water consumption would be assessed through slum docket water meters. For apartment buildings and bulk consumers, the consumption will be measured for individual flats or houses. The HMWSSB will indicate the parameters required for the water meters so that consumers are at liberty to get meters of the same specification installed at their own cost.
Under the scheme, citizens of Hyderabad and Telangana would get 20 thousand liters of free water supply in a month. However, consumption above the 20 thousand litres threshold would be charged as per applicable tariff with effect from December 2020.
According to the Telangana Water Board officials, around 10 lakh consumers would be benefited from the scheme within the limits of Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC.)
There are around 2 lakh water connections in the city without meters.
The Water Board officials instructed the consumers to link their water connection Customer Account Numbers (CANs) with Aadhaar Card through “MeeSeva” centres or official website of the Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWSSB.)
The last date for linking is the 31st of March 2021.
Guidelines and important points for free water supply:
- The beneficiaries of the slum areas may link their water connection with the Aadhaar card.
- They are not needed to install a water meter.
- The Aadhaar linking process would be done at home.
- In case of any discrepancy in the name of the beneficiary, Aadhaar, and water connection documents, the correction can be done at Water Board’s website.
- For the clarification of any doubt, the consumer can contact: 155313.
- For water installation, 2 meter agencies are appointed. A total of 24 agencies are appointed.
- Consumers can obtain further information by visiting “Board’s website: hyderabadwater.gov.in
- The cost of a domestic tap meter (size: 15 mm) is Rs.1,498
- The cost of a water meter for 20 mm is Rs.2,147
After completing the process and necessary documentation, citizens of the GHMC would get free water supply from the 1st of April 2021.